Friday 18 January 2019

Portraits 2: pencil & self

Continuing from last week's session, we looked at self portraiture.  Those scary things where the subject is sometimes staring weirdly at the viewer.  We're in good company here...

Stanley Spencer, self portrait 1926, pencil on paper (30.5 x 17.8 cm)
from "Head First" portraits from the Arts Council Collection 1998

Self portraiture is an excellent way to practise portraiture, not least because your subject is available when you are.

I had brought along some of my B Unit* self portraits as a starting point which, I guess inevitably led me to tell a little of my art adventure from "art is not for me" to where I am now.  

I had planned for this session to be about colour in portraiture but after my impromptu talk, I decided to continue with observational drawings in pencil.  The mirrors we used were varied.  Sensible folk used traditional, rectangular mirrors - one of us didn't.

Not an easy thing to do.  Very well done everyone!

Dorothy

Mike

Monica

Christine & demo

*The B Unit was an accredited evening course delivered by Blackpool & the Fylde College.  The classes were held one evening a week through the academic year.  The highest mark was equivalent to 70% of an A Level.

pencil on paper, 1995  (50 x 42 cm)

pencil on paper, 1995 (50 x 42 cm)
[Why would anyone wear an aran jumper for a self portrait!]

No comments:

Post a Comment